OASIS volunteers provide more than 12,000 hours of service annually. Last year alone, more than 150 of our volunteers were seniors themselves. Seniors helping seniors is a core value of OASIS.
Majority of our OASIS volunteers to comprise of general and associate members; we require any one over the age of 18 to become a member of OASIS. If you are interested, please call our office at 937-9750, download our Volunteer Application Form and mail it or bring it in or you can fill out the application below.
Here are some areas where we often need volunteers:
Front desk hospitality
- Answer phones, greet walk-ins, prepare coffee, serve refreshments, and other tasks, as necessary. Three to four hour shifts are available each week. Substitutes are also needed. This role requires patience and the ability to adapt to whatever needs to be done. This can be a busy and rewarding position.
Monthly Newsletter Folders
- The third Thursday at 9am we gather in Rostein Hall and prepare newsletters to be mailed and distributed. It’s a fun time to get to know a large group of OASIS friends.
- Farmers Market (2nd Monday) and USDA Commodities (3rd Thursday) we sponsor a drive-through food distributions for our members and community at large. We need help filling bags with food provided by the Foodbank of Santa Barbara County and loading cars. Sometimes there’s donuts involved!
- Assist with set-up, clean-up, serving food, cooking, decorating, and other tasks as necessary. For example: our holiday parties and special guest speakers are some of the special events we host.
- From time to time, we need individuals who can make phone calls, help with mailings, assist with our bulletin boards, special clerical projects, or various light tasks around the OASIS office.
Maintenance & repairs
- Hanging pictures, replacing the washers in faucets, fixing and securing shelves and chairs – from big to small, OASIS has things around here that need special attention.
- Are you able to call a home bound senior? We are looking for individuals to connect with those in our community who cannot make it to the OASIS Center. This can be some of the most rewarding work of all.
- We also often need help with monthly food distribution and our Orcutt Graffiti Abatement Program.